This is the final week of coding for our CREU project. Afterwards, I’ll begin my writing for our paper submission to EuroVis in December. Our schedule plan is something along the lines of: 10/31/17: Be done with code 11/1/17: Start writing 11/14/17: Finish writing/Get help from Rosen and Mustafa 12/6/17: Abstract due 12/13/17: Full paper due All that’s left for coding is the finishing touches of when the bubble color sets pop up to the screen when a barcode is being hovered over. This past week I worked on moving over the barcode (found on the left side of our graph) to a new class where each bar from the barcode is an object, with attributes like set size, color,[…]

This week I’ve been working on creating two new classes that should make our code cleaner and faster. It feels a bit like restarting — digging through fine details of code I’ve written over the course of 5 months and figuring out how to not break it along the way. I should hopefully have this done by next week, and I’ll be able to start writing the paper for EuroVis. We started an overleaf for the paper that I’m sharing with Dr. Rosen and Dr. Hajij, who are both kind enough to offer helping me edit my writing once I’ve done enough word vomiting. EuroVis has a specific format that I have to figure out how to do in LaTeX,[…]

It’s been one full week since the Vis conference. Since then, I’ve met with Bei Wang (at Utah) and Carlos Scheidegger (at Arizona) twice to discuss the work Dr. Rosen and I are doing on the 0-dimensional PH project for CREU. I’ve received some great feedback from these two, in addition to the many students and faculty I spoke to at the Vis conference during the poster session. Here are some of the things I’ve worked on since then: • “Attracted”, or merged, two nodes together when a bar from the barcode is selected. This only occurs if the user right-clicks the bar. We added this feature to declutter the graph for low persistence edges by merging the two nodes[…]