I think there’s a previous blog post with the same title. This past week I’ve worked on adding some extra features to the random walk algorithm which will choose edges with certain probability instead of uniformly at random. I’m also abstracting the data to take in any val file and calculate the cycles from there. I found out this past week our paper didn’t get accepted to EuroVis, so now we look to either submit into TVCG or include that work with our current work for one paper to Vis. I’m meeting with Dr. Rosen tomorrow to figure this next step out together. I finished visiting Tufts this past weekend and it was amazing! This week I visit UBC and[…]

I finally finished coding the random walk algorithm with all additional features we’ve discussed (so far!) I found out this past week that I’ve been accepted to quite a few PhD programs, as well as an internship at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory with Dr. Kristi Potter! These next few weeks will be tough, I have back-to-back grad visits the next month and we’re still planning for the March 31st Vis deadline. I find out on the 21st if our paper to EuroVis was accepted, and depending on that we’ll figure out how to approach this next paper. Looking forward to this next month! An example of our random walk algorithm with 500 random walks completed. Node size reflects the[…]

This week we finished coding an additional method for identifying cycles. This method was suggested during a meeting I was luckily able to attend last year during the Vis conference. Carlos (one of our collaborators) suggested we use triangles in the graph to find additional walks, which we’ve finished using javaplex. My method is mostly finished as well, I’m now adding the ability to do many walks at a time where a walk ends if the node has already been visited. This has been a bit difficult because I cannot let nodes between the start point and revisited point count towards the overall probability. Next week we finish both of our methods and look to implement them together. Featured image[…]

This past week I’ve worked on fixing the random walk algorithm. Right now the algorithm can run clockwise as long as the starting node is one of the 10 lowest ranked nodes. This week I’m working on making any node able to be the starting node. I’m also going to be testing new datasets when possible, as of now we are only testing for single cycles but I already have two additional datasets with two cycles and three cycles. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to incorporate those as well.

This is the terrible week I realize my code isn’t working correctly. Right now I have the random walk algorithm iterating over an adjacency matrix instead of the edges of the graph, so next is adding that feature to the graph layout. The random walk is currently jumping between unconnected areas in the graph, so my co-advisor Mustafa is creating a smaller dataset so I can trace the potential problem. This past week has been a lot of debugging, but hopefully it’ll start to improve soon!