Somehow I made it out alive after that deadline. I may have knocked five years off my overall lifespan, but the paper has officially been submitted. Dr. Rosen was a real trooper this week: I probably sent him half the amount of emails that I’ve sent him in the entirety of us working together in this past week alone. We’re both super happy with the way our paper came out, and it’d be awesome to have this paper together before I graduate from USF. This week we’re meeting to talk grad school and figure out the next steps with our 1-dimensional tool. I leave in late May/early June for my internship at NREL, so I’m going to try my best[…]

This week was super stressful. Our Vis deadline is 3/31 and I’ve pulled three all-nighters in one week. I remember when I was back at FSU as a first year music student I used to pull all-nighters like it was NOTHING! Our paper is really wrapping together and I have to say, I totally love it! I’m really happy about the progress we made and I really hope it gets in to Vis this year. Germany would be awesome to visit! I’m finishing the results section this week and also cleaning up the code to submit. We’re redoing our video presentation and also packaging up our software so reviewers can play with the graphs themselves. I’ve learned so much about[…]

In addition to the synthetic datasets we’ve generated, another aspect of my job these next few weeks is finding more real world graphs to run our tool on. I’ve found some really neat ones, and I’ll link the websites at the bottom of my blog post. Noticeably, our tool works really well on collaboration networks and social networks. It’s really interesting to see these dominant structures form using PH on graphs, the more I learn about working with graphs really makes me want to continue doing so through my PhD. Our Vis deadline is March 31st, so there’s a lot to do! weighted, undirected networks: network data: synthetic datsets:

So we decided to resubmit our 0-dimensional PH FDL paper to Vis ’18. One of the biggest critiques our reviewers had from EuroVis was that we didn’t test enough datasets (mainly, larger ones). This week we’ve been focusing on finding large datasets and synthetically generated artificial ones, as well. Mustafa kindly generated about 20 of them (wow!) for us so I’ve been testing them and seeing what kind of layouts and structures our tool produces. So far, the results have been great! We’re going to continue focusing on expanding our results section to hopefully have something more compelling to show to the reviewers this round.