Part of what we’re reworking for the 0d project is adding more datasets. These need to include graphs with 5,000-10,000 nodes, some synthetic and some real-world datasets. This week I’m working on finding large graphs and cleaning up the code for our project. I’m also going to be implementing some other methods to compare against ours. We’ll hopefully have a table of various methods with graph layouts for every method. We’re aiming for the Vis ’18 deadline, which only gives us 3.5 weeks, so wish us luck!
This week we’ve been revisiting the 0-dimensional PH project to submit to either Vis ’18 or TVCG. Part of this has been optimizing how the force-directed layout runs — we changed it from n^2 to n*log(n). We’ve also been working on cleaning up the code to use as part of the submission. I’m presenting our paper to the data visualization class so I’ve been taking new pictures for the project and updating my slides. This past week I visited the University of British Columbia! It was my first time in Canada and it was great. In two weeks I’ll be visiting UMD college park, and finally I’ll be done with all my visits. The Vis ’18 deadline is March 31st,[…]
I think there’s a previous blog post with the same title. This past week I’ve worked on adding some extra features to the random walk algorithm which will choose edges with certain probability instead of uniformly at random. I’m also abstracting the data to take in any val file and calculate the cycles from there. I found out this past week our paper didn’t get accepted to EuroVis, so now we look to either submit into TVCG or include that work with our current work for one paper to Vis. I’m meeting with Dr. Rosen tomorrow to figure this next step out together. I finished visiting Tufts this past weekend and it was amazing! This week I visit UBC and[…]
I finally finished coding the random walk algorithm with all additional features we’ve discussed (so far!) I found out this past week that I’ve been accepted to quite a few PhD programs, as well as an internship at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory with Dr. Kristi Potter! These next few weeks will be tough, I have back-to-back grad visits the next month and we’re still planning for the March 31st Vis deadline. I find out on the 21st if our paper to EuroVis was accepted, and depending on that we’ll figure out how to approach this next paper. Looking forward to this next month! An example of our random walk algorithm with 500 random walks completed. Node size reflects the[…]
This week we finished coding an additional method for identifying cycles. This method was suggested during a meeting I was luckily able to attend last year during the Vis conference. Carlos (one of our collaborators) suggested we use triangles in the graph to find additional walks, which we’ve finished using javaplex. My method is mostly finished as well, I’m now adding the ability to do many walks at a time where a walk ends if the node has already been visited. This has been a bit difficult because I cannot let nodes between the start point and revisited point count towards the overall probability. Next week we finish both of our methods and look to implement them together. Featured image[…]
This past week I’ve worked on fixing the random walk algorithm. Right now the algorithm can run clockwise as long as the starting node is one of the 10 lowest ranked nodes. This week I’m working on making any node able to be the starting node. I’m also going to be testing new datasets when possible, as of now we are only testing for single cycles but I already have two additional datasets with two cycles and three cycles. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to incorporate those as well.
This is the terrible week I realize my code isn’t working correctly. Right now I have the random walk algorithm iterating over an adjacency matrix instead of the edges of the graph, so next is adding that feature to the graph layout. The random walk is currently jumping between unconnected areas in the graph, so my co-advisor Mustafa is creating a smaller dataset so I can trace the potential problem. This past week has been a lot of debugging, but hopefully it’ll start to improve soon!
I’ve been working on the code to finish using persistent homology and random walks to find cycles in a graph. Each node will have a probability of being on a cycle and I’ll use this to supplement the graph drawing later on. So far this past week I’ve implemented the algorithm and visualized the process. I also found out this week I was admitted to the University of British Columbia as a PhD track with Tamara Munzner’s group! I’m so excited! Hopefully I’ll still be able to make the Vis 2018 deadline on March 31st with upcoming grad visits. Thanks for checking out my blog 🙂
This week begins my last semester at USF (and last semester researching for CREU). I’ve already met with Dr. Rosen three times to get the ball rolling on our next project. We’re adding on to our software of 0-D graph drawing tools by creating a tool for 1-Dimensional features. So far this month I’ve coded two graphs, one that takes in a point cloud with (x,y) coordinates, a persistence value, and birth/death cycle associated with every event. The second graph will be a replica of this first graph, but now I will randomly choose a starting point and perform a random walk on the graph (using a distance matrix against a randomly assigned epsilon value) to see if I can[…]
Everyone researching for CREU gets a winter break. This means I won’t be posting much about my research, but, I did get selected as a finalist for the NCWIT Collegiate Award! I’ll be working on a video to demo our project this break so I’ll post it next month.