I think I’ll spend this week explaining exactly what the 1-dimensional PH features project is about. Now that I have a much better grasp on how the 0-dimensional project works (it only took me nearly an entire year..) I feel I know a bit more about the 1-d project! When I first approached Dr. Rosen about working together in his lab, the idea was to get started on the 1-dimensional project first. We quickly learned there was still a lot to do and flesh out for the 0-dimensional project. As far as we knew, there was no technique/software to detect the 1-dimensional PH features of a graph interactively. Since then, there has been a paper published to detect cycles, however,[…]
These posts are coming a bit late, but I blame how hectic graduating is. Since these are being written in the future, I will try my best to recount what happened in my last few weeks of undergrad. During this time, Dr. Rosen and I sat down and talked what should be next. I’ve officially decided to attend Tufts University to work with Remco Chang, and I’m so excited! Remco, Kristi, and Dr. Rosen are all familiar with each other (and collaborated together on various things), so it should be an easy transition for me through the summer. I’ll be working with Kristi on her work in uncertainty visualization, and hopefully I can finish the new projects I’m working on[…]
So we decided to resubmit our 0-dimensional PH FDL paper to Vis ’18. One of the biggest critiques our reviewers had from EuroVis was that we didn’t test enough datasets (mainly, larger ones). This week we’ve been focusing on finding large datasets and synthetically generated artificial ones, as well. Mustafa kindly generated about 20 of them (wow!) for us so I’ve been testing them and seeing what kind of layouts and structures our tool produces. So far, the results have been great! We’re going to continue focusing on expanding our results section to hopefully have something more compelling to show to the reviewers this round.
I’ve been working on the code to finish using persistent homology and random walks to find cycles in a graph. Each node will have a probability of being on a cycle and I’ll use this to supplement the graph drawing later on. So far this past week I’ve implemented the algorithm and visualized the process. I also found out this week I was admitted to the University of British Columbia as a PhD track with Tamara Munzner’s group! I’m so excited! Hopefully I’ll still be able to make the Vis 2018 deadline on March 31st with upcoming grad visits. Thanks for checking out my blog 🙂
This week begins my last semester at USF (and last semester researching for CREU). I’ve already met with Dr. Rosen three times to get the ball rolling on our next project. We’re adding on to our software of 0-D graph drawing tools by creating a tool for 1-Dimensional features. So far this month I’ve coded two graphs, one that takes in a point cloud with (x,y) coordinates, a persistence value, and birth/death cycle associated with every event. The second graph will be a replica of this first graph, but now I will randomly choose a starting point and perform a random walk on the graph (using a distance matrix against a randomly assigned epsilon value) to see if I can[…]