This past week I’ve worked on fixing the random walk algorithm. Right now the algorithm can run clockwise as long as the starting node is one of the 10 lowest ranked nodes. This week I’m working on making any node able to be the starting node. I’m also going to be testing new datasets when possible, as of now we are only testing for single cycles but I already have two additional datasets with two cycles and three cycles. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to incorporate those as well.
This is the terrible week I realize my code isn’t working correctly. Right now I have the random walk algorithm iterating over an adjacency matrix instead of the edges of the graph, so next is adding that feature to the graph layout. The random walk is currently jumping between unconnected areas in the graph, so my co-advisor Mustafa is creating a smaller dataset so I can trace the potential problem. This past week has been a lot of debugging, but hopefully it’ll start to improve soon!
Everyone researching for CREU gets a winter break. This means I won’t be posting much about my research, but, I did get selected as a finalist for the NCWIT Collegiate Award! I’ll be working on a video to demo our project this break so I’ll post it next month.
I finished everything! Our paper was submitted to EuroVis on 12/13/17 and I completed all my grad school apps on 12/15/17. Now I get to enjoy my winter break 🙂